I beleive the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated, copied, and interpreted correctly. In the course of my studies of the Bible, I've discovered that it has a long and convoluted history. So, these are my discoveries and my musings of Christian history and doctrines.

Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States

Friday, May 06, 2005

The case of the missing Bible text Part 2

My father showed me another discrepancy between the 1801 and the 1917 versions of the Swedish Bible - Job 19:26. My father was kind enough to translate the verses for me into English. A rough translation of the 1917 version reads something like this:

26 "And after this my torn (wounded, damaged) flesh is gone, shall I, free from my flesh (meat), be able to see God."
He wrote in the margins of his Bible the words contained in the 1801 Swedish version. The 1801 version translates into something like this:

26 "And I shall afterward, with this my flesh (meat) enshrouded be, and shall in my flesh (meat) be able to see God."
Did you catch the difference? One version says that he, Job, will see God IN THE FLESH sometime after he has died, and the other says that he will see God WITHOUT HIS FLESH. That's a pretty important difference!

The King James Version reads:
26 "And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:"
The New Revised Standard Version reads:
26 "and after my skin has been this destroyed, then in my flesh I shall see God."
The Revised English reads:
26 "I shall discern my witness standing at my side and see my defending counsel, even God himself,
27 "whom I shall see with my own eyes, I myself and no other. My heart sank within me,"
The New American reads:
26 "And from my flesh I shall see God; my inmost being is consumed with longing."
The New Jerusalem reads
"After my awakening, he will set me close to him, and from my flesh I shall look on God."
Most of the other English versions concur with the 1801 version of the Swedish Bible with regards to seeing God in the flesh, but the Revised English is so different than any of them that I had to double and triple check myself that I had the right verse. Why all the differences? Who knows? And which is the most correct?

1 Comments:

Blogger Amira said...

This looks like it will be an interesting blog. I've long been fascinated by the variations between different versions of the Bible and the discrepencies even in the oldest manuscrptis. I look forward to reading more.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home