I beleive the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated, copied, and interpreted correctly. In the course of my studies of the Bible, I've discovered that it has a long and convoluted history. So, these are my discoveries and my musings of Christian history and doctrines.

Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States

Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, Part 5

Talk about mixups. Here is a modern day mixup. The book entitled the Forgotten Books of Eden claims that it's version of the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs is taken from the book The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament by R. H. Charles. The web site www.earlychristianwritings.com claims that it's version is from the same book written by R.H. Charles. Yet as you can see, there are some very significant differences between the Forgotten Books version and the web site version.

The Forgotten books of Eden, an extract from the Testament of Benjamin:

"And there shall arise in the latter days one beloved of the Lord, of the tribe of Judah and Levi, a doer of His good pleasure in his mouth, with new knowledge enlightening the Gentiles. Until the consummation of the age shall he be in the synagogues of the Gentiles, and among their rulers, as a strain of music in the mouth of all."
www.earlychristianwritings.com, the same extract from the Testament of Benjamin:
"And there shall rise up from my seed in the latter times one] beloved of the Lord, [hearing upon the earth His voice] and a doer of the good pleasure of His will, [enlightening with new knowledge all the Gentiles, even the light of knowledge, bursting in upon Israel for salvation and tearing away from them like a wolf, and giving to the synagogue of the Gentiles. Until the consummation of the age shall he be in the synagogues of the Gentiles, and among their rulers, as a strain of music in the mouth of all."

One says a prophet will rise up from the seed of Benjamin, and another from Judah and Levi. From the same book translated by the same author? I don’t think so. And what’s this business about a wolf?

If people can’t even copy text correctly in the 21st century, what makes any one think that text was EVER copied correctly throughout the rest of the Earth’s history?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary A said...

Wow, Scott! Who'd a thunk it? I wouldn't have thought of comparing two things that were supposed to be from the same source. That really makes one wonder, doesn't it?

5:00 PM  
Blogger Scott N. Ashby said...

Actually, I discovered it quite by accident. I was going to type in the text from my book and make some comment about it, but then I thought "Hey, I bet I could download it from the Internet and copy and paste. It is public domain material after all." And when I did, I realized that it looked different. That's when I did a word for word comparison.

Needless to say, I forgot what I was origianlly going to write about.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home