I beleive the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated, copied, and interpreted correctly. In the course of my studies of the Bible, I've discovered that it has a long and convoluted history. So, these are my discoveries and my musings of Christian history and doctrines.

Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Flaming Sword Part 3

Before I continue with my musings regarding the meaning of fire in the scriptures, I would like to backtrack a little here and get back to the sword issue. It has been "pointed" out (pun intended) to me by some of my readers that I left something out. And indeed I did. It seems that there is another layer of meaning behind the sword icon. Consider these scriptures:

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" (1)
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (2)
So we see here that the word of God is represented by the sword. Note how Paul describes the cutting off and separation action of the sword as a "dividing asunder" of soul and spirit, and bone and joints. Here again, a separation of spirit and body is hinted at. And we have other, indirect inferences to the sword and the word of God.

"Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;" (3)
An effective sword is sharp is it not? So what does it mean to reprove with sharpness?

To be continued ...


1. Ephesians 6:17, King James vesion.

2. Hebrews 4:12, KJV.

3. Doctrine and Covenants, Section 121:43.